Bluegrass Greensource is seeking a full time VISTA Volunteer to work to help underserved communities create a sustainable environment. Duties will include organizing listening sessions, educational workshops and volunteer management. Previous experience in outreach and public relations is preferred. Email resume, letter of interest, and contact information for three references to amy@BgGreensource.org.
For more information about the VISTA program, please visit http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-vista.
Applications will be accepted through April 20th or until position is filled. EOE
Supervisor: Deputy Director
- Develop working relationships with other area nonprofit organizations who provide outreach to Lexington’s low income population.
- Organize listening sessions with community members and organizations to develop an understanding of the environmental needs of local low income areas.
- Plan and promote a series of environmental workshops that includes topics identified in the listening sessions.
- Work to coordinate volunteers and volunteer events that serve low income neighbors and neighborhoods.
- Develop a volunteer retention program.
- Design a PR packet for use in presentations to civic organizations, neighborhood associations, and community leaders.
- Plan and promote Bluegrass Greensource’s annual GreenFest event.
- Create energy efficiency materials for distribution at community events.
- Contributes to newsletters and the maintenance of Bluegrass Greensource’s website.
- Assist with marketing Bluegrass Greensource/VISTA partnership by attending, speaking, and setting up displays at outreach events.
- Share in workload with staff to complete any job that has priority at the time.
- Perform related duties as required by Deputy Director or Executive Director.
Avg. Hours per Week: 40 – The ability to work weekends and evenings is important.
- 18 years of age
- Bachelors Degree in related field
- Driver’s License and dependable transportation
- Pay attention to details
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Ability to maintain records and prepare reports
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Board members, employees, and all program participants
- Knowledge of issues and programs relating to the goals and objectives of Bluegrass Greensource.
- General knowledge of environmental issues facing Central Kentucky.
- Experience in event planning and promotion.
Physical Demands of the Job: Work is performed in Greensource’s office; intermittent standing, walking, stooping is required; must lift objects weighing less than 25 pounds as a job requirement; must operate vehicle.