Bluegrass Greensource is looking for a highly motivated and experienced professional to join its staff as a Watershed Coordinator. This position will lead Greensource’s efforts to implement watershed based plans (WBP) in the Clarks Run, Hanging Fork, and Hinkston Creek watersheds. A full job description can be found below. Email resume, letter of interest, and contact information for three references to amy@BgGreensource.org. Applications will be accepted through September 20th or until the position is filled.
Bluegrass Greensource, Inc
Job Title: Watershed Coordinator
Supervisor: Executive Director
Bluegrass Greensource is looking for a highly motivated and experienced professional to join its staff as a Watershed Coordinator. This position will lead Greensource’s efforts to implement watershed based plans (WBP) in the Clarks Run, Hanging Fork and Hinkston Creek watersheds. All of the WBPs recommend activities to address high pathogen levels, high nutrient levels, and inadequate riparian buffer zones as well as other non point source pollutants.
This project will not only continue implementation efforts in these watersheds, but establish long-term water quality awareness and protection as a local priority. The coordinator will work closely with appropriate local agencies, organizations, school groups and others to expand the reach of this project into the community and across all five counties
Bluegrass Greensource (formally Bluegrass PRIDE) was formed in 2001 to help the citizens in Central Kentucky understand that there are small behavior changes that can make a large impact on our local environment. Our mission is to empower the Bluegrass to create a sustainable environment. We currently have a staff of 14 who are dedicated to environmental education about water quality, waste reduction and energy efficiency. We focus on preK-12, business and adult education in 20 counties.
The duties and responsibilities of the Watershed Coordinator include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee all WBP implementation activities in all three watersheds
- Provide educational workshops about septic system function, water quality impacts of failing septic systems, and instruction on how to properly maintain residential septic systems
- Provide riparian buffer and stormwater runoff education to urban and rural residents. Residents will learn about revegetation along streams and rivers, erosion control, livestock exclusion, and stormwater retrofits such as rain gardens through consultation, demonstration, workshops, and a media awareness campaign.
- Assist landowners and homeowners applying for cost-share assistance through local and federal programs for riparian buffer establishment and stormwater retrofits.
- Coordinate annual Watershed Festivals in each of the five counties.
- Provide outreach and education through newspaper articles, radio PSAs, booths and displays at local events, classroom activities, presentations, online toolkits, social media, and flyers at prominent locations.
- Establish or invigorate local citizen based watershed groups
Minimum Qualifications and Characteristics
Knowledge and experience: Commitment to sustainability; broad knowledge and understanding of watershed planning, stormwater best management practices, and native plants; experience convening meetings and engaging citizen groups
Personal characteristics: Highly self-motivated; highly creative; commitment to strategic thinking and innovative action; ability to both lead and collaborate effectively; well-organized, attentive to detail, and able to work on multiple projects at once; keen sense of humor! The successful candidate will have to work varied hours that include nights and weekends.
Technology and software: Strong computer skills and strong knowledge of design, website and donor tracking software.
Communications: Strong writing skills; strong interpersonal communication skills.
Physical: Close vision with or without corrective lenses necessary for computer work; manual dexterity needed to operate computer; ability to perform assigned duties in a time-efficient manner; valid driver’s license.
The position offers a competitive salary, based on experience, plus a generous benefits package. Position is based in Lexington, Kentucky. Greensource is an equal opportunity employer.