Waste reduction is more than just recycling; it also includes creating less waste from the start. Use these tips to reduce waste in your everyday life!
- When shopping, buy in bulk and avoid overly packaged items.
- Don’t forget your reusable shopping bags!
- Use both sides of paper when printing or use back of already printed paper for scrap paper.
- Purchase recycled items by looking for post-consumer recycled products such as copy paper and toilet paper.
- Utilize reusable items, like coffee cups and water bottles, instead of disposable, plastic or Styrofoam (polystyrene) ones.
- Provide condiments in large dispensers, instead of small individual packets in an office.
- Donate used equipment and furniture to local charities, instead of disposing of them.
- Use permanent non-disposable coffee filters, which are easy to use and clean, and can be used numerous times.
- Pack a waste free lunch.
- Avoid harsh or toxic household cleaners and chemicals; use alternative cleaners instead.
- Save gently used school supplies for the following school year.