The Bluegrass Greensource Energy Audit Kits are designed to guide you through the first steps of making your home more energy efficient. By taking steps to a more energy efficient home, you will be on the way to lightening the burden of your utility costs while also reducing the environmental impact of your household. You’ll find out where your home’s problem areas are: where it’s losing heat or air conditioning, which appliances are running inefficiently or draining energy even when they’re not in use, and where you can save on lighting. And you can do it all for free!
Energy Audit KitsBluegrass Greensource has purchased energy audit kits and donated them to the Lexington Public Library, so that any library card holder can check one out at any branch location! We also have two kits available for check-out at the Bluegrass Greensource office.
Each kit contains:
- A laser thermometer to find hot and cold spots where the home is not airtight by identifying poorly-insulated areas in walls, floors, and ceilings.
- A foot-candle light meter to find out where you can use less lighting by monitoring visible light levels in your home.
- A fridge thermometer to make sure your fridge isn’t working harder than it needs to by testing the temperature in your refrigerator and freezer.
- A Kill-A-Watt meter to show how much energy appliances and chargers drain while they’re not in use by measuring the energy usage of appliances that generally stay plugged-in.
- A companion manual to provide instructions on how to use the audit kit tools, easy energy saving tips, information on rebates and tax credit programs related to energy efficiency, and information on weatherization/utility bill assistance programs.
- A TogetherWeSave Booklet to provide DIY project suggestions for your home after you complete the home energy audit.