Now Accepting Applications for an Environmental Education AmeriCorps Member
To apply: Send a letter of interest, resume and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until September 5th, or until the position is filled.
You will also need to create an AmeriCorps profile at https://my.americorps.gov/mp/recruit/registration.do
Information about AmeriCorps
Members receive a $13,990/year living stipend, a $5,920 education award and are eligible for health care and child care while in service.
Bluegrass Greensource is looking for a highly motivated professional to join its education and outreach team. This position will help Greensource’s efforts to empower the Bluegrass to create a sustainable environment. The AmeriCorps member will work with students and adults in Central Kentucky to help them understand that small behavior changes can have big, positive impacts on our local environent.
Bluegrass Greensource was formed in 2001 to help the citizens in Central Kentucky understand that small behavior changes can make a large impact on our local environment. Our mission is to empower the Bluegrass to create a sustainable environment. We currently have a staff of 14 who are dedicated to environmental education about water quality, waste reduction and energy efficiency. We focus on preK-12, business and adult education in 20 counties.
The duties and responsibilities of the Environmental Education AmeriCorps member include:
- Serve as a liaison between Bluegrass Greensource and the schools in Greensource’s region.
- Teach environmental lessons (i.e., waste reduction, water quality, rain gardens, and energy) to students in grades preK-12.
- Assist schools in planning and implementing waste audits, energy audits, and culminating events.
- Maintain relationships with teacher contacts.
- Develop environmental education programs that relate to Bluegrass Greensource’s mission.
- Contribute to newsletters and social media and help to maintain the organization’s website.
- Assist with marketing Bluegrass Greensource by attending, speaking and setting up Bluegrass Greensource displays at school expos, faculty meetings, environmental fairs, field days, education conferences, community outreach events, etc.
- Maintain accurate records of activities performed.
- Assist staff with projects involving priority environmental education issues.
- Knowledge of Kentucky Academic Standards.
- Familiarity with environmental education programs and curricula.
- Knowledge of issues and programs relating to the goals and objectives of Bluegrass Greensource.
- General knowledge of environmental issues facing Central Kentucky.
- Familiarity with the principles, practices, and methods of marketing and behavior change strategies.
- Ability to work with adults, K-12 students, preschool students/staff, and daycare
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare reports
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Board members, employees, and all program participants.
- Ability to travel throughout the service area.
Physical Demands of the Job: Work is performed in Greensource’s office and onsite at schools, both indoor and out; intermittent standing, walking, stooping is required; must lift objects weighing less than 25 pounds as a job requirement; must operate vehicle.
Contacts: Public and internal contacts requiring tact and diplomacy are a requirement of the job.
Knowledge of: Environmental issues; solid waste service; teaching and public education practices; volunteer management, environmental conservation methods; water conservation, composting, recycling, litter abatement, and energy conservation practices; principles, practices, and methods of marketing.
Skill in: Providing effective and persuasive presentations; communicating effectively both verbally and in writing; organizing events and activities; establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.