Class title: Full-time, Environmental Educator
Supervisor: Deputy Director
Bluegrass Greensource is looking for a highly motivated and experienced professional to join its education team. This position will help Greensource’s efforts by offering high quality, experiential, content aligned lessons throughout schools in Central Kentucky.
The duties and responsibilities of the Environmental Educator include but are not limited to the following:
- Serve as a liaison between Bluegrass Greensource and the schools in Greensource’s region.
- Use appropriate technology (Google Classroom, video, Canvas, etc.) to connect with students and teachers.
- Teach environmental lessons (i.e., waste reduction, water quality, rain gardens, and energy) to students in grades preK-12.
- Assist schools in planning and implementing waste audits, energy audits, and culminating events.
- Maintain relationships with teacher contacts.
- Develop environmental education programs that relate to Bluegrass Greensource’s mission.
- Contribute to newsletters and social media and help to maintain the organization’s website.
- Assist with marketing Bluegrass Greensource by attending, speaking and setting up Bluegrass Greensource displays at school expos, faculty meetings, environmental fairs, field days, education conferences, community outreach events, etc.
- Maintain accurate records of activities performed.
- Share in workload with staff to complete any job that has priority at the time.
- Perform related duties as required.
Avg. Hours per Week: 40
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Studies, Sustainability, Public Relations, or related field.
- Two (2) years of experience in program management or teaching.
- Preference given to candidates who are certified environmental educators.
Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.
- Knowledge of Kentucky Academic Standards.
- Familiarity with environmental education programs and curricula.
- Knowledge of issues and programs relating to the goals and objectives of Bluegrass Greensource.
- General knowledge of environmental issues facing Central Kentucky.
- Familiarity with the principles, practices, and methods of marketing and behavior change strategies.
- Familiarity with basic video editing, graphic design, virtual technology
- Ability to communicate and coordinate with preK-12 students and teachers.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare reports.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Board members, employees, and all program participants.
- Ability to travel throughout the service area.
Physical Demands of the Job:
Work is performed in Greensource’s office, from home, and onsite when state health guidelines permit, at schools, both indoor and out; intermittent standing, walking, stooping is required; must lift objects weighing less than 25 pounds as a job requirement; must operate vehicle.
Email resume, letter of interest and contact information for three references to pattie@bgGreensource.org. Applications will be accepted through August 24th or until the position is filled.