Home Energy Audit Kits
The Bluegrass Greensource Energy Audit Kits are designed to guide you through the first steps of making your home more energy efficient. By making your home more energy efficient, you will be on the way to reducing your utility costs and the environmental impact of your household. You’ll find out where your home’s problem areas are: where it’s losing heat or air conditioning, which appliances are running inefficiently or draining energy even when they’re not in use, and where you can save on lighting. And you can do it all for free!
Energy Audit Kits
Bluegrass Greensource has purchased energy audit kits and donated them to the Lexington Public Library, so that any library card holder can check one out at any branch location! We also have two kits available for check-out at the Bluegrass Greensource office.
Each kit contains:
- A laser thermometer to find hot and cold spots where the home is not airtight by identifying poorly-insulated areas in walls, floors, and ceilings.
- A foot-candle light meter to find out where you can use less lighting by monitoring visible light levels in your home.
- A fridge thermometer to make sure your fridge isn’t working harder than it needs to by testing the temperature in your refrigerator and freezer.
- A Kill-A-Watt meter to show how much energy appliances and chargers drain while they’re not in use by measuring the energy usage of appliances that generally stay plugged-in.
- A companion manual to provide instructions on how to use the audit kit tools, easy energy saving tips, information on rebates and tax credit programs related to energy efficiency, and information on weatherization/utility bill assistance programs.
- A TogetherWeSave Booklet from Touchstone Energy Cooperatives that walks through ways to fix any discovered deficiencies in your home. You can also visit their website for more DIY tips and to take their Home Energy Adventure Tour.
Bluegrass Greensource also has an infrared camera available for checkout to help residents discover hot or cold spots in their homes. This high-tech device is a handy tool to have before and after an energy efficiency project to monitor its success. $30 security deposit is required, and deposit is returned if the camera comes back undamaged.