ANNOUNCING OUR K-12 EDUCATION PROGRAMS FOR SCHOOL YEAR 2020-2021
This fall, our environmental educators are busy adapting to the changes brought about by Covid-19. We are eager to meet with teachers and students virtually! Read on to learn about our programs and how we can work with you.
- LFUCG Environmental Education: Our virtual program offers classrooms in Fayette County the opportunity to take a “field trip” and learn about Waste Management or Water Quality within our city. Contact Pattie at pattie@bgGreensource.org to schedule lessons and a field trip with us!
- Junior Nature Explorers: Preschool classrooms in our service region can join us to discover some of the unique animals, plants, and ecosystems around us! Our education staff will meet virtually with the students of preschool teachers who participated in our March 2020 teacher workshop. Check out our Junior Nature Explorers site for activities and resources. Stay tuned for information about our next teacher workshop and contact Rachel at rachel@bgGreensource.org to learn more!
- Division of Water: Bluegrass Greensource will continue to be a resource in classrooms in Clark Runs, Hanging Fork, and Hinkston Creek watersheds. We will engage students virtually through online videos, Google Classroom activities, and Zoom. Objectives include educating students about septic systems, riparian zones, and watersheds, and how to protect each of those to improve water quality in Central Kentucky. For classrooms in Bourbon, Montgomery, and Nicholas Counties, contact Kara Sayles; firstname.lastname@example.org. For classrooms in Boyle and Lincoln Counties, contact Deb Larkin; email@example.com.
- Toyota Energy Education: Students in Central Kentucky learn about renewable and nonrenewable energy resources in this unit of energy education. Contact Elaine Collins: Elaine@bggreensource.org
- Preschool Energy Curriculum: Alongside experienced preschool teachers, Bluegrass Greensource will develop and pilot an energy curriculum for preschoolers.
- Junior Green Living Labs: Stay tuned for details about our Junior Green Living Labs coming soon! Preschool students and their parents/guardians will discover and explore all things energy!
- Science Fair: We are piloting this science fair preparation program with one classroom. This program is designed to guide students through the steps of scientific inquiry and assist in preparation for a science fair while learning about energy resources.
- Dupree: Take a virtual hike through The Nature Conservancy’s preserves located along the Kentucky River. Learn about settlement in the area, common Kentucky animals and plants. Contact: Pattie Stivender, Pattie@bggreensource.org.
- Litter Programs in Lincoln and Garrard Counties: Bluegrass Greensource is supplying weekly handouts and materials for litter related activities in NTI packets distributed by 21st Century to registered students in the after school programs in all seven schools in Lincoln County during the month of September, as well as links for virtual activities on their facebook page. After September, the schools will be offered new virtual activities each month. Contact: Deb Larkin; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Litter Program in Scott County: Let’s Learn About Litter with Ms Deb! Ms. Deb is reading books about litter in this collection of videos. This video series is for primary students. Contact: Pattie Stivender, Pattie@bggreensource.org to schedule.
Also, check out our newest online resources for Environmental Education at home at:
Connecting Community and Water
The pages on the Watershed Based Education Site contain resources for families, homeowners, and teachers to explore and learn more about local watersheds and how to improve them. The site offers information about resources that Bluegrass Greensource promotes throughout Central Kentucky to engage homeowners in hands-on projects to improve their own watershed, along with grant opportunities to help fund best management practices to improve water quality.