Are you committed to making the holidays more environmentally friendly? Here are some ideas to help you start:
- Decorate your house with LED lights and you can use almost 90% less energy. It saves you money on your electric bill and helps the environment. Don’t overdo it! It’s the light that shines in our hearts that matters more than the quantity of outdoor decorations!
- Use a real tree. Plastic trees last longer but are made of PVC, which is harmful to the environment.
- Recycle your Christmas tree. Just put it out on the curb on your regular trash collection date. Trees will be picked up Jan. 4 – 29.
- Recycle your old electronics. A lot of people get new phones or electronic devices for Christmas. Drop your used electronics at Lexington’s Electronic Recycling Center and prevent hazardous elements like mercury, cadmium, and lead from ending up in landfills.
- Get creative! Make your own wrapping paper and cards by recycling the old holiday cards you’ve been saving for years and reusing old comic books, children’s artwork, scarves, towels, or even clothing to wrap your gifts. We’ve shared some photos of our educator, Rachel Patton’s, favorite sustainable gift wraps below.
- Better yet, if you are able, send e-cards to friends and family members and save on postage, envelopes, and cards that may eventually be discarded.
- Make your own gifts: bake a batch of cookies or other treats for your loved ones and share the recipes.
- Give gifts of membership or experiences: a gym membership, music lessons, theater tickets, spa services, and more.
- Support local farms by purchasing local organic produce and meat for your holiday meals.
- Get in the holiday spirit and give the gifts that keep on giving back. Support local organizations by purchasing gifts from businesses that donate a part of their income back to the community. Or volunteer your time to help others and make their holidays a little brighter.
Do you still have gifts to purchase? How does online shopping stack up? Check out Your Guide to Earth Friendly Holiday Shopping to find out!