Green Up your Big Blue Tailgate
It’s football season in the Bluegrass! While we love to hear Carl Nathe shout “FIRST DOWN KENTUCKY,” we equally love to hear “where is the recycling bin?” at the tailgates. To celebrate the excitement over this season, we thought we would provide some tips on how to green up your tailgate.
- Purchase reusable dishware – Durable plastic dishware is generally low cost and can be found at many general purpose stores.
- Reuse decorations – Those paper footballs and streamers may be cheap, but they are still good for next weekend!
- Buy in bulk – Have everyone designated to purchase one tailgating item this season so buying in bulk is more practical.
- Grill with a propane tank – Yes, propane is a fossil fuel but it burns cleaner than charcoal. Also, victory couches do not burn clean either.
- Buy Local – Consider local restaurants and breweries when preparing food options. If you prefer to make your own dishes, check out your local farmers’ market for locally grown ingredients. Many farmers’ markets are open throughout the fall.
- Carpool to the event or walk with friends
- Utilize campus recycling – UK Recycling provides game day recycling at Kroger Field. Use clear bags for recycling and black bags for trash. If you run out of bags you can pick up more at the “Recycling End Zone” located in the Green Lot on the BCTC Lawn or from one of the Big Blue Recycling Crew Volunteers. Items that are recyclable: bottles, cans, and boxes. Items that are not recyclable: paper plates, napkins, cups, food waste, and aluminum foil/pans.
If you have any questions regarding this information please email Noel Osborn at email@example.com. GO CATS!